Wednesday, May 22, 2013

I wrote a kid's book, now what?


I work at a bank. There are many children that I have become familiar with over the years that come into the bank regularly. Now when it was my turn to host a day for our customers, the theme was Back to School and Books Rule, so among other things, I decided to write a kids book that I could hand out to them. I thought about all the things I could base a children's book on, and that got overwhelming fast. So I narrowed the field to banking related things, which worked well, as it was a book they would receive from their bank. There are many subject within that field as well, but thinking of a fairly young audience, I wrote a little story about a boy who learns to save. He uses a piggy bank, so I wasn't blatantly hocking our banking products, but encouraging kids to think about the benefits of saving... like being able to buy the extra cool toy you found at the store without having to beg mom. One of the gentlemen I work with has a wonderful wife who is a teacher, and she agreed to edit the story for me, since I may be creative, but my grammar, well, sucks. I also did a dozen drawn illustrations for the book, some of which I painted as well. These, with the help of a co-worker, were scanned, re sized and formatted. All of this did not go smoothly. I was running out of time, and ended up hand cutting and taping printed copies of the art, to pre-printed pages, and copying. It looked pretty good actually! From there, I hand cut and stapled all of the copies, the night before we were to hand them out to children at the bank. And don't get me wrong, my co-workers would have happily helped, except that I was being particular about certain things, and there was only one big paper guillotine, and only one heavy duty stapler. So I was on my own, but it got done. In the morning, I gave everyone their own copy of the little book, I was excited to see what they thought, excited to see what the children who came in thought. I was just excited. Well, it rained, all day, a big heavy downpour, so next to no children came into the bank. But, it was busy enough, that no one had time to read the book themselves. They were enthusiastic that I had taken the time to do everything, but I got almost no feed back from them either. Poo! But I am thrilled with the results, I think the book is adorable, and I love the story. I would like to send it to a publisher, but I really have no idea where to start. Someone told me to go to a self publisher and then market it myself, but that ends up costing a few grand right off the get-go. But a good publishing company gets thousands of stories sent every year, so they usually only take very few new writers, sticking mostly with established authors. Where does that leave me??

No comments:

Post a Comment